Saturday, June 21, 2008

Isaac Hayes, Tom Petty, and Stevie Wonder!

Summer has officially began. You can tell because I've seen so many wonderful acts in such a short amount of time.

In one week I saw Isaac Hayes in Prospect Park, Tom Petty at MSG and Stevie Wonder at Jones Beach Theatre.

I've wanted to see Tom Petty since I was in high school. His songs are so timeless. I don't think I've ever met anyone with a negative feeling about his music. He's better than Springsteen in my book. Yeah, I said that.
I wish he had played 'Yer So Bad' though. It's definitely been one I've listened to a lot lately. He closed with 'Running Down a Dream' and 'American Girl.' Can't really complain. Oh! He also did 'Don't Come Around Here No More.' So great live!

Moving on to another great, I saw Stevie Wonder the next night at Jones Beach Theatre. It had been raining like a mother right before start of the show. In fact, they delayed start time so it wouldn't be so heinous for the performers and viewers. Jones Beach is an outdoor arena after all. All the good graces of the music gods aligned so that after about 30 mins of torrential downpours, Stevie was able to play a full set uninterrupted by mother nature. Not gonna lie, it was a little weird to see him live. It was like meeting Harry Potter or Kermit the Frog. So surreal and magical. He played 'Ribbon in the Sky.' Amazing. I think I teared a smidge on that one.
I can't take all the preparation work for these concerts though. The Other M coordinated all the purchases and logistics. SPANKS!

No comments: